Welcome back to Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. I know I say this every week, but I love this week’s topic! See below for my list of ten bookish wishes (listed in the order in which I thought of them). Spoiler: it’s a lot of specific instructions for adaptations.
1. A Throne of Glass movie with Chloe Grace Moretz: I’ve loved her since she was Kaylie Hooper on 30 Rock when she was just 14. Moretz is absurdly talented and she’s just about the right age to play Celaena. I can just imagine her growling out a haughty “You’re a long way from Rifthold, Captain.”
2. A Lumatere TV series: Melina Marchetta has already said that she wouldn’t let this series become a movie, but she would consider a TV adaptation. It would be amazing. Three seasons, one for each book. I would cry for years.
3. More Marchetta books: This one is pretty obvious. Doesn’t everyone wish there were more books written by their favorite author?
4. Non-stop motion adaptation of The Graveyard Book: I heard a while ago that this was being made into a movie. While I love the book, I was very disappointed to hear that it was going to be made much in the same way that Coraline was. I want some beautiful 2D animation for this!
5. Non-stop motion adaptation of Coraline: While I’m at it, I’m going to ask for a 2D animated adaptation of Coraline. Can you tell I hated the stop motion adaptation? The Graveyard Book and Coraline had such amazing illustrations, I wish the movies would stay closer to that style.
6. Novellas about Nikolai Lantsov: I just finished The Grisha Trilogy and fell in love with Nikolai. I need novellas about his life before the start of the series. My beloved sobachka.
7. The Night Circus TV series: Again, this would be another gorgeous adaptation. Really striking visuals with black, white, and red. Some scenes where it walks you through the circus, with narration by Michael Gambon or the narrator from The Book Thief who sounded just like Michael Gambon. (Speaking of The Book Thief, notice that it isn’t on this list. That’s because that adaptation was flawless. I can’t improve upon it.)
8. To edit books: I am such a control freak that when I read a book (or even watch a movie, TV show, or play), I’m constantly picking out things I would have done differently if I had been involved in the production. I wish I could edit or even rewrite books that I didn’t think lived up to their potential.
9. A Neverwhere adaptation with radio show voices: I know Neverwhere was a TV show back in the 90s, but they made a radio adaptation a few years ago with the perfect cast, including Natalie Dormer, James McAvoy, and David Harewood. This is exactly how I pictured the characters in the book. I politely request a live action adaptation.
10. A proper Ella Enchanted movie: I will never stop being bitter about this. That book was amazing and I don’t understand why they had to go and change everything about it. Anne Hathaway could have made a perfectly fine Ella.
What did you guys wish fore? Be sure to share your TTTs with me in the comments.