Today’s (very late and very short) Top Ten Tuesday is about quitting. I decided to go with things I won’t miss if they stop showing up in stories. Read on to see my story pet peeves.
- Vampires: I was never a vampire girl. Not sure why I never connected with them, but that vampire craze in the late 2000s was really not my cup of tea.
- Fae: This is a newer trend I’m not really feeling (or, I should say, new to me). It seems to me like fae are just people, but too perfect, a la Edward from Twilight? If anyone knows more about fae, please illuminate me in the comments.
- Jerks with hearts of gold: A common trope in media, a less common occurrence in real life. I feel like the prevalence of this trope makes us excuse bad or rude behavior.
- Twist endings: This is a love-hate situation for me. I love a good twist ending, who doesn’t? But I feel like I’ve read so many things with twist endings recently that I’ve started to expect them. Part of that is my fault; I’m always thinking ahead and working things out logistically as I read. I could use a break from twists, just to reset my brain.
- Everyone loves the same character: The majority of my friends are all attracted to the same gender as me and it is so uncommon for us to be into the same guy. People are complicated! Everyone has little, specific things they’re attracted to or turned off by. Characters should reflect this.
Did I miss any other irritating tropes? Share your story pet peeves with me in the comments!