This Top Ten Tuesday (from The Broke and the Bookish) is about characters I didn’t connect with. I’m the type of person who can always find something to criticize (I try to use my powers for good, but it is what it is), so I was born for this TTT. Read on to see my least favorite fictional characters.
2. Cath from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell: I was hoping this book would be a better representation of what it’s like to be in the Internet/fandom generation, but Cath really annoyed me.
3. Cadence from We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: I couldn’t stand anyone in this book besides Gat, but I’m taking out my frustrations on Cadence.
4. Blue from The Raven Cycle Series by Maggie Stiefvater: It felt like we were supposed to like Blue because she’s “practical” and quirky, but she just felt really immature.
5. Ronan from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater: I just didn’t connect with this series in general, I guess (Like I could see that I should love Gansey because he’s so my type, but I barely even liked him). But anyways, Ronan has always bugged me. I can’t get over how badly he treats people.
6. Bridget Jones from Bridget Jones’s Diary by Helen Fielding: This is one of those books where the movie is 100% better. This book was so weird (the ending! So weird!) and Bridget was much less likable.
7. Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen: I said this, verbatim, last October: “It’s a truth universally acknowledged that no one likes Catherine Morland.”
8. Nick Dunne from Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: I know Amy is a complete monster and that Nick is a victim, but I couldn’t bring myself to feel sorry for him. I like Amy, because at least she’s a smart and interesting character, but Nick was so mediocre and made such bad decisions. I couldn’t stand him.
9. Quintana of Charyn from the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta: I went into the second Lumatere book all excited to meet Quintana’s character because my friend loves her. She wasn’t what I expected. Quite frankly, Quintana scares the bejeezus out of me. I’ve warmed up to her and she becomes an easier character to like about midway through the second book, but she’s still not my favorite. Still scares the bejeezus out of me.
10. Snape from the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling: Why did so many people become pro-Snape when they found out he loved Lily? He bullies kids and has been obsessed with the same woman his whole life. He’s the worst.
Did we have any in common? Do I dislike your favorite character? Leave me a comment and let me know!