Hello again! I posted my May wrap-up earlier today and now I’m back for The Broke and the Bookish‘s Top Ten Tuesday. I can’t resist a good list! This week’s topic is Top Ten Books I Would Love to See as Movies/TV Shows. My list is really just a romp through my top-rated books on Goodreads, so the list is Marchetta-heavy (for a change). I’ve divided them into movies and TV shows, so on we go.
1. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine: We got a movie of Ella Enchanted and while I love Anne Hathaway, this story deserves better. This was my favorite book as a kid and I’m dying to see it done properly. A miniseries following Ella through the years would be a dream come true.
2. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta: Queen Marchetta has already said she would only let these books get adapted as a TV series. I need to swoon over Finnikin, so I’m going to need this to happen ASAP.
3. Saving Francesca / The Piper’s Son by Melina Marchetta: I would love this as a two-season show. First season is Saving Francesca and the second starts years later for The Piper’s Son. Maybe a season three if Marchetta ever visits them again. I could weep.
4. Harry Potter by JK Rowling: Hear me out! We need a Marauders TV series based on this Tumblr post of perfection. Read it over, you can’t deny that it’s amazing.
5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: I would love to play with the structure of this. Maybe focus on different characters during different episodes? The cinematography would be gorgeous, in any event.
6. Just Listen by Sarah Dessen: How has the queen of contemporary YA only had one movie adaptation? The next movie of hers we need is Just Listen because it is absolute perfection, my favorite by far. The car wash scene!
7. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller: I would die of dehydration after watching this movie but I still need it.
8. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman: I know we’re getting a movie of this, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the Coraline movie so I would love to see TGB adapted with a different director/style of animation.
9. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta: Listen, guys. When it comes to this blog, we are never done talking about Marchetta and this movie would be beautiful. Those poppies!
10. The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter: While parts of this anthology were stronger than others, The Bloody Chamber is phenomenal. I would love an adaptation of Bluebeard and this version of the story would be perfect. Such great visuals!